Arepa with Cheese, Tomato, Avocado and Bacon

Arepa with cheese, tomato, avocado and bacon. I have made so many arepa versions in my life, that I don’t know how came to my mind this one with cheese, tomato, avocado and bacon whose recipe I show you today. It was a night when I got home in my bachelor days and had no choice but to seek in the fridge any leftover of better days.

A plastic container with enough arepa dough to alleviate the emergency came to save me at 3:00 am. The other emergent provisions were: a tomato and half avocado, both about to pass away by the command of the time, three slices of Munster cheese and two remaining strips of bacon.
I cooked my arepa on an iron griddle or comal, which reminded me of Comala, the town where the Mexican writer Juan Rulfo put PedroPáramo to live in.
The arepa turned out tostadita, rather crispy, as a mere gringo would say. I slowly fried the bacon strips on a pan, and set them aside.  At once, I opened the arepa through its belly and filled it with the Munster cheese, followed by tomato and avocado slices to finally crown that glorious morsel with crispy strips of bacon.
I dined like a prince eating breakfast, and since then these arepas are my favorite for weekend's brunches. Now that Enriqueta and I live together, this recipe is becoming a well-demanded family dish.
I could say I make arepas on a daily basis to presume chef, but when Andrés, the eldest son, heard me saying that I share with his mom the love for cooking, he replied in his perfect teenager Anglo-Saxon accent: "No, Abel, you cook nothing. The only thing you do is arepas.”

So, long life to the arepas stuffed with Munster cheese, tomato, avocado and bacon.

Arepa with Cheese, Tomato, Avocado and Bacon | Ingredients to make 4 arepas
4 arepas
8 bacon slices, cut into 2 and cooked until crisp
4 Munster cheese slices
4 tomato slices
1 avocado Hass peeled, seeded and sliced
Coarse sea salt

Preparation
1. With a knife cut the arepas open.
2. Put the cheese over one half of the arepas, then put the tomato and avocado slices and season with salt. Complete with 4 bacon strips.

3. Cover with the other arepa half and serve.

Thank you for sharing this post! Follow Savoir Faire on FacebookInstagramPinterestTwitter and Youtube.

Etiquetas: , , , , ,