Gluten-Free Lasagna alla Bolognese


Gluten Free Lasagna. One of these days I will tell you why I’ve eating gluten free lately. Not today, though, because I'm in a hurry and just came to share my gluten free lasagna recipe for those who like me are short of time and yet want to eat a delicious meal.
This lasagna alla Bolognese is gluten-free because it’s made with Barilla gluten free penne.
To be consistent with the gluten-free pasta, I made the béchamel sauce with cornstarch, instead of wheat flour.
Every time I cook with Barilla gluten-free, someone asks me about the texture and flavor of this pasta which is made in a free of gluten-free facility using corn and rice that are not genetically modified. My answer is always: we eat it at least once a week and that only means we love it!
I eat it because I love it and as you know I’m a pasta lover.
At first, when I decided to become gluten free, I used to make two types of pasta: regular for my children and gluten free for me.
But as the difference between the two is literally imperceptible, at least when it comes to penne or rottini, now we all eat gluten free pasta that we buy in bulk (a 4-box package) at BJ's Wholesale Club.
For those wondering what about a lasagna made with penne instead of lasagna noodles my answer comes them with the second part of this story: I prepare it with short pasta, to save me the job of a regular layers lasagna.
The inspiration to make a lasagna in which the Bolognese sauce and the béchamel are mixed with the pasta and baked with a little Parmesan cheese on top, I owe it to the chef Giorgio Rapicavoli, owner of Eating House, a restaurant that I love in Coral Gables.
Chef Rapicavoli says his mom used to make her lasagna this way to save time in the kitchen without sacrificing one bit of flavor.
My kids say it's one of his favorite dishes (along with pasta with meat sauce and pasta with pesto alla Genovese).
I hope you like my recipe.
Gluten-free Lasagna alla Bolognese | Ingredients for 12 servings
2 packages of Barilla Penne gluten free, cooked al dente and drained
salt
Butter to grease the baking pans
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

For the Bolognese Sauce
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 cups white wine
3 cups chopped Portobello mushrooms
2 cups tomato sauce
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For the Béchamel Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups milk
salt
1 pinch of freshly ground nutmeg

To make the Bolognese Sauce
In a food processor, process together by pressing several times: garlic, onion, celery and carrot until everything is finely chopped and being careful not to blend.

In a deep pan over medium heat, add olive oil and make a sofrito by sautéing the chopped vegetables until they begin to wilt, about 5 minutes.

Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes until it begins to brown.

Add the wine, oregano and bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the liquids are reduced by more than half.

Add the Portobello mushrooms, stir, and cook for about 3-4 minutes.

Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Correct the seasoning and reserve.

To make the Béchamel Sauce
While the Bolognese is cooking, make the béchamel. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the cornstarch, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until a roux is formed, about 2 minutes.

Add milk, salt and nutmeg and stir until smooth.

Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 8-10, stirring, until sauce thickens.

To make the Lasagna
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease baking dishes with butter.

In a large bowl mix the pasta with meat sauce and béchamel.

Distribute the mixture of pasta, Bolognese and béchamel into molds.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Put the oven on broil and bake for 2-3 minutes until the lasagna begins to golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool at least 10-12 minutes before serving.
If you want to enjoy demonstrations of Barilla gluten free recipes, visit select BJ's Wholesale Clubs on December 22nd and 23rd.

Visit Barilla’s Gluten Free Pasta Website and Facebook.  For more gluten-free pasta recipes take a look at Barilla Gluten Free Recipes on Pinterest. and follow them on Twitter and Instagram.


Check this Gluten-free pasta withgarlic, olive oil and kale.


This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with 
Pollinate Media Group®, Barilla®, but all my opinions are my own. 
#pmedia #GlutenFreeBarilla http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV

Etiquetas: , , ,