Savoir Faire: Flavors of my Childhood: Sweet Plantains with Cloves

jueves, 12 de septiembre de 2013

Flavors of my Childhood: Sweet Plantains with Cloves


I was fortunate to be raised by my grandmother. To me, that meant, among other things, eating delicious food. Not only mi abuelita was a great cook: she had a PhD in cooking a myriad of recipes with the most simple and common ingredients.
Plantains were a constant in our table: we ate them "maduros" (as they call it here in Florida) sliced and ​​fried (tajadas), baked with fresh white cheese, boiled, and green fried as tostones or patacones, and I remember seeing, but not eaten them, in sancochos (huge stews)…
Among my favorite recipes were these sweet plantains with the sublime taste and aroma of cloves…
My grandma served these plátanos en dulce as a side dish and since they were so sweet, there was no need for dessert…
If I don’t cook this recipe more often is to avoid frying. It’s not that I don’t like fried food, but I can’t stand the guiltiness…
Sweet plantains are so easy to prepare that my mom taught me how to cook them, along with white rice and meatballs, during our summer vacation before I started middle school.
As Vicky, my editor at Mamás Latinas said this recipe will make you travel in time and can be found in any grandma's kitchen in Caracas…
Sweet bananas with cloves | Ingredients for 6 servings
3 ripe plantains, with the ends cut off, peeled and cut into 3 pieces
½ cup of vegetable oil for frying
1 cup of water
1/3 of cup sugar
8 cloves

Preparation
In a pot or deep pan, put the oil over medium heat.

Fry the plantains, flipping them to brown evenly, about 10 minutes.

Drain the plantains on paper towels.

Discard the oil.

In the same pan, put the water, sugar and cloves and stir.

Add the plantains and boil them for 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes, until syrup is formed.

To print the recipe click here.

How did you like these sweet plantains?

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Related Posts with Thumbnails