Flavorful Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad with Cilantro


I have a love affair with legumes. There's nothing I like more than a soup of lentils, black beans, red beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans or chickpeas... But since this is not the time of year for hot soups, I make them in salads (and even created my so yummy black bean hummus.) They are a source of protein with no fat or cholesterol and I must be getting older because now I worry about these things that I didn’t care about before. C'est la vie...

Confessions aside, this salad is like an explosion of colors, textures and flavors: black beans, corn, red bell pepper, tomato and red onion with a lot of fresh cilantro.

I made it with dried black beans that I cooked for my black bean soup, but it’s perfect with canned beans too. I also used two ears of grilled corn, but it works well with canned sweet corn too. The rest is a breeze.
This salad is a cousin of my black bean and avocado salad. I prepared it for the first time for Mamás Latinas as part of a series of easy recipes with ingredients typical of the Latin American kitchen. Since then, I've done variations on this theme using black-eyed peas and red beans. All of them are a nice alternative to my chickpea and lima bean salads.

All I can say is: total success! I hope you like my recipe.
Black Bean Salad with Grilled Corn and Cilantro | Ingredients for 8 portions
1 ½ cups of black beans cooked and drained
1 ½ cups of corn kernels from grilled cobs
1 cup of tomato, seeded and diced
½ cup minced onion
¼ cup of red bell pepper, finely diced
1 ½ cups of cilantro leaves, washed and dried
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
In a bowl combine the beans, corn, tomato, onion, pepper and cilantro.

In a cup, mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix to emulsify.

Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss.

Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least half an hour.

Serve cold. This salad is much more flavorful the next day.

To print the recipe click here.
                                      
How do you like this recipe? 

Etiquetas: , ,