My Latest Discovery: The Wonders of Almond Milk


A few months ago I tried almond milk. The “only 30 calories” per cup package at the grocery smiled to me.

My first surprise was to realize that when you drink cow's milk, you’re also consuming sugar. Obviously, I never paid attention to Jamie Oliver. Cow’s milk, whole, with only 2% of fat or skim, has sugar added. With almond milk you have the option to buy it sweetened, in which case it contains 90 calories per cup, and natural, containing only 30 calories per cup!
Since I was trying to reduce my coffee intake, as far as my diet in particular is concerned, every time I care less about cow's milk, so I’m buying unsweetened almond milk to make oatmeal, and take it with granola and fruit, as in the photo.

Researching for an assignment for MamásLatinas, I discovered the many benefits of almond milk, among others:

It doesn’t taste as cow’s milk: it has its own and pleasant light nutty flavor, but it has a very similar consistency, making it a perfect substitute for cow’s milk when consuming it alone or in recipes.

It's super nutritious and healthy: it's 100% vegetable and rich in vitamins A, D and E, protein, omega-6, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium.

It has fewer calories than cow's milk: 30 calories if natural compared to 90 calories of a cup of skim milk, or 150 of a cup of whole milk.

It is the perfect alternative for those who are lactose intolerant.

It helps to reduce cholesterol, as well as triglycerides.

It is good for skin, hair and nails care, because it is rich in vitamin B2.

It helps to improve gastrointestinal problems because it contains soluble and insoluble fiber (thus protects the intestinal walls and regulates the absorption of sugar and cholesterol.)

I've never prepared almond milk and I don’t think I will. But if you want to, or are just curious, Inés Peña’s blog gives you the recipe (in Spanish.) 

How did you like this post? Are you ready for almond milk?

Etiquetas: ,