Cooking in Technicolor 5: Seven Vegetable Soup


I miss having soup on a daily basis.  Sometimes I find myself dreaming about living somewhere, where it’s colder, so I can have more soup…
Then, I realize how benign this South Florida winter is, I count my blessings and enjoy a bowl of this very light, yet flavorful seven vegetable soup…
This soup is very similar to the vegetable soup I used to cook while in college, when I discovered the joy of being in the kitchen chopping and seasoning and cooking and feeding… my classmates! I was very popular back then… I’m still popular: feeding people makes me the happiest!
Life is beautiful and colorful.
Seven Vegetable Soup | Ingredients for 8 portions
2 Tbs. of olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of onion, finely chopped
1 cup of celery, finely chopped
½ cup of red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup of tomato, diced
2 quarts of water
2 cups of pumpkin or butternut squash, pealed, seeded and diced
1 ½ cups of sweet potatoes, pealed and diced
1 ½ cups of carrots, pealed and diced
Salt
Cilantro

Make a sofrito with the olive oil, garlic, onion and celery. Once it’s tender, add the red bell pepper and the tomatoes. Put the vegetables to boil in water. Add the sofrito, some fresh cilantro and cook covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Salt to taste. Serve with a sprig of cilantro.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: