Rice with Shrimp (Caracas way)

I don’t know about you, but I crave food all the time. Today I wanted to post my pumpkin and spice biscotti recipe, that I've already baked a couple of times in the past two weeks and that is so in tune with this season, but I suddenly crave for something with my home country  flavor.

After five years living first in Southern California and now in South Florida, I’m pretty sure that if I never felt like an immigrant, it’s precisely because of the food.
All those hours in my kitchen, experimenting, testing and developing recipes have given me the strong feeling that I can recreate anything I want.
So I took the frozen shrimps from my freezer and made this recipe, inspired by Don Armando Scannone Mi cocina a la manera de Caracas, a book that is an Encyclopedia of the flavors of my beloved home town.
As my children love this meal and they don’t even make faces anymore at the green peas, I make it quite often.
I like that it is a solo dish and that it’s colorful and tasty. I like it also because I’m sure that if my grandma Ligia would make it, it would taste like this one.
There is no ají dulce (that ingredient that is so peculiar to the Caracas seasoning), but I think I achieve the perfect balance using other red ingredients such as red bell pepper. I hope you like my recipe, as I made it for Mamás Latinas.
Rice with Shrimp | Ingredients for 6-8 portions
2 pounds (1 kilo) of shrimp with tail
3 Tbs. of olive oil
1 cup of onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 red bell pepper finely chopped
1 cup of ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup of carrots chopped
1 ½ cup of white rice
½ cup white wine
1 cup of water
Coarse sea s alt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
2 Tbs of fresh parsley chopped

In a deep skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the onions and garlic until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the shrimp and carrots, stir and add the wine. Cook until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed. Add the rice, water, salt and pepper to taste and cook uncovered for 20 minutes over low heat. Add the green peas, stir and cook covered over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the parsley and serve sprinkled with a little olive oil.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: , , , ,