Winter Split Green Pea Soup with Ham

The Holidays are over but I still have some glazed ham in my refrigerator from New Year’s Eve.

That ham was the best we have had in the last couple of years and I didn’t want to waste it.
My first choice was this green pea soup, a crowd pleaser (and I still have a crowd to please at home), full of flavor and color too.  This is the perfect earthy, fulfilling winter soup.
I hope you like my recipe.
Split Green Pea Soup | Ingredients for 6 portions
2 Tbs. of butter
½ yellow onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
½ pound of ham finely diced
2 celery stalks finely chopped
1 carrot finely diced
4 parsley sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 pound of green split peas
2 quarts of water
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground white pepper

In a pot, put the water and the green peas to boil for 20 minutes. In the meantime, in a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions and garlic until soft, 5 minutes. Add the ham and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the celery and sauté for 3 more minutes. Add the carrots, the parsley and the bay leaves. Take two cups of the green pea water and add it to the ham and vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the ham and vegetable mix to the green peas. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the peas are soft, 25 more minutes. Discard the parsley and bay leaves.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: , , ,