Insanely Decadent Viennese Brownies

If I would have to describe these brownies in just one word, that word would be, no doubt, decadent. Insanely decadent, I would say. Dangerously decadent.

Last time I baked and posted my walnut brownies, these Viennese Brownies came to my mind and at the same time Giselita, one of my best friends from Caracas, told me: “you should bake Viennese Brownies.”
So, here I’m.
I don´t know why they are named Viennese. I assume it’s because of the worldwide renowned Viennese patisserie. I adapted this recipe from the recipe Volga Gallego gave me, almost 10 years ago. She tasted my walnut brownies and immediately we exchanged recipes.
Volga was so sweet that she showed me the ‘technique’ to put the almond cream cheese batter in between the two layers of chocolate batter. From the beginning, her brownies became ‘my’ brownies and my friend´s favorite brownies too.
I love them because they are fudgy, dense and extremely rich. I also love the creamy, fragrant, almond flavor and the toasted sliced almonds on top. I hope you enjoy this recipe, as I have enjoyed baking these Viennese Brownies during the last decade.
Viennese Brownies | Ingredients for 24 brownies
¾ cup of unsalted butter
6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli premium baking bar)
4 eggs
1 ½ cups superfine sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup sweet ground chocolate and cocoa (I used Ghirardelli)
½ Tsp of baking powder
¼ Tsp of salt
1 8-ounce cream cheese package
½ Tsp almond extract
1 cup sliced almonds
Have all the ingredients at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 6 by 9 inch glass baking mold. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter and the chocolate. In a bowl, beat 3 eggs with an electric mixer on a medium speed for 1 minute. Add 1 ¼ cups of the sugar and beat for 1 more minute. Reduce the speed, add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat until well incorporated, 1 more minute. Add the chocolate powder and keep beating. Add the melted butter and chocolate and mix well, 1 more minute. Set aside.

Rinse the mixer blades. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer, 1 minute. Add the rest of the sugar and beat until dissolved. Add the egg and the vanilla extract and mix well. Set aside.

Put half of the chocolate batter in the prepared baking mold. Pour the cream cheese batter and on top layer the rest of the chocolate batter. Sprinkle the sliced almonds. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Transfer the mold to a wire rack until it is completely cold. Cut into squares.

To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: , , ,