Winter Lentil Soup with Spanish Chorizo

I love lentils. Today´s recipe is one of my favorite lentil soups ever: so gusty and a meal by itself. It keeps you warm and full of energy for a good while. I began to make it while in college, at that time, all I cared was Spain and Spanish stuff, and I fell in love with gazpacho, Jamón de Jabugo, tortilla española and all the tapas.
Following the Spanish tradition of eating lentil soup on January 1st (so you won’t lack food and prosperity during the rest of the year), we had Winter French Lentil Soup as our first 2011 meal. However, today I was craving for my so comforting lentil soup with chorizo.
Since it was so chilly outside and The Wise Men are arriving pretty soon, I decided to celebrate them with a recipe that brings memories of my Mother Land, that I can cook with my eyes closed.
No need to say that the flavor comes from the sofrito (chopped onion, garlic and red bell pepper, sautéed in olive oil) and the chorizo (Spanish, Portuguese, either smoked or not). It pairs perfect with red wine and for dessert, I would suggest flan, natilla or crema catalana. I hope you enjoy the same way I have enjoyed it all these years!
Lentil Soup with Chorizo | Ingredients for 6 portions
1 pound of lentils
2 ½ quarts of water
2 Tbs. of olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
1 red bell pepper finely chopped
1 Spanish or Portuguese chorizo, sliced
4 medium potatoes diced
Coarse sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
In a stock pan over medium heat, add the water and the lentils and cook for 20 minutes. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and make a sofrito by sautéing the onions and garlic until translucent, 5 minutes, and then adding the pepper. Keep cooking for 10 more minutes. Add the sofrito, the chorizo and the potatoes to the lentils stock pan and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: , , , ,