On Harvest Season, Childhood Flavors on a Bowl of Soup

I grew up having this soup. My Grandma Ligia used to cook it. My Mom used to cook it too. This is the typical soup that you can typically have on a typical meal in any Venezuelan home at lunch or dinner time.
It is also one of the first soups that any mom will give to her baby —by pediatrician prescription— while introducing them to the wonders of vegetable flavors. It was part of my elementary school lunch menu.
And I would say more: in our collective unconscious we must believe on the healing power of this crema de auyama (butternut squash soup) because, along with chicken soup, this is, by far, the most served soup in any hospital.
Nobody ever showed me how to make it. Nobody gave me the recipe. Nobody told me the ingredients. However, I can make it with my eyes closed. My son Andrés Ignacio, who inherited my love for soups, named it “the yellow soup.”
In this season, where we can have all kinds of squash and pumpkins, I though you would like to taste this creamy, silky, delicate and colorful soup. You may add some cream or bread croutons before serving, or simply enjoy the wonders of this soup plain.
Butternut Squash Soup | Ingredients for 6 portions
3 pounds of butternut squash peeled and diced
2 quarts of water
3 Tbs. of unsalted butter
3 leaks coarsely chopped (only the white part)
½ onion coarsely chopped
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground white pepper
In a stock pan over medium heat, add the water and the butternut squash and cook for 20 minutes, until the squash it is soft. Turn off the heat and let it cool down. In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and sauté the leaks and onions until they are soft, about 6-7 minutes. In a blender, process half of the butternut squash with the liquids and half of the leak onion mixture, until it gets a creamy smooth consistency. Pour in a stock pan. Process the other half and add it to the stock pan. Season with salt and pepper.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: ,