Death by Chocolate

Today’s recipe is my delicious chocolate cake. I have been baking it for at least 10 years. It’s my family’s favorite and we crave for it all the time. It’s the official family birthday cake and besides all our birthday celebrations, I bake it at least 8 to 10 times a year.

I call it Death by Chocolate because we all would die for it. Its richness and voluptuous velvetiness would make you dream about it. It’s a real chocolate extravaganza: cake, filling and frosting are made of chocolate.

I had it for the first time from a co worker in Caracas. I asked her for the recipe and she seemed not so happy about revealing it. I asked again, and she seemed to avoid the subject. One day she wanted my marzipan recipe and I said: I would give it to you when you give me the chocolate recipe and I got it.

I added my personal touch to make it darker and moister. This cake is better if you leave it covered in the refrigerator overnight. Here is my recipe!

Chocolate cake | Ingredients for 12-14 portions
¾ cup of unsalted butter
1 2/3 cups of sugar
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups of milk
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of sweet ground chocolate and cocoa (I used Ghirardelli)
½ Tsp. of baking powder
1 Tsp. of baking soda


Have all the ingredients at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-by-3-inch cake pan. Mix the flour, ground chocolate, baking powder and baking soda  in a mixing bowl and set aside. In another mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute on low speed. Add the sugar, increase the speed and beat it for about 3-4 minutes until fluffy. Add one egg at time, beating for 1 minute each time until incorporated. Occasionally scrap down the sides of the bowl. When the mixture is creamy add the flour chocolate mix alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the milk. Pour the batter in the previously prepared cake pans and bake it for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Transfer the pans to two wire racks and let them cool for 10 minutes. Unmold the cakes and let them completely cool down before frosting.

Ingredients for the chocolate filling and frosting
9 Tbs. of unsalted butter
2 ½ cups of confectioners’ sugar
1 cup of sweet ground chocolate and cocoa
5-7 Tbs. of milk
Sift together the sugar and the ground chocolate. With an electric mixer on low speed, cream the butter. Add half of the sugar chocolate mix. When this mixture is uniform, add the other half. Add the milk until the mixture gets a frosting consistency, being careful not over mix so the frosting does not get lighter. Cover the top of one of the cakes. Put the other cake on top and cover the sides and the top. Refrigerate at least for one hour.

To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: , ,