Rich and Colorful Tomato Soup

Yesterday I picked nine pounds of well ripened better boy tomatoes with the idea of finally making my basic tomato sauce, the one that I use to make pizzas, meat balls and pasta sauce…
However, today was kind of cloudy and I decided to take half of the tomatoes to make this colorful tomato soup the way my Mom taught me. I’m not sure where she got the recipe. We made it together the summer of 2009 and it was a hit!
The superb taste comes from the onions sautéed in butter, the ripe fleshy tomatoes, which I strongly recommend you peal (see how easy here) and fresh rosemary. The thick consistency is given by adding some rice. The parsley garnish adds not only color contrast, but it is also de final touch.
My Mom made it with thyme, but I did not have it in my kitchen garden, so I substituted with rosemary and it works. I’m both a tomato and a soup killer, so what can be better than this? Here is the recipe. I hope you like it!
Tomato Soup | Ingredients for 6 portions
1 big yellow or white onion, or 2 medium, coarsely chopped
3 Tbs. of unsalted butter
10 ripped better boy tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 rosemary sprigs
1 quart of boiling water
4 Tbs. of uncooked rice
3 Tbs. of finely chopped parsley

In a pan with a lid, melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are transparent. Add the tomatoes and the rosemary and cook them until they are juicy, for about 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool down. Remove the rosemary. In a blender, process the tomato and onion mixture until it is smooth. Pour this mixture back in the pan, add the water, cover and simmer for 20 more minutes. Salt to taste. To make it richer you may want to add some more butter. Garnish with parsley.
To print the recipe click here.

Etiquetas: ,